Graduates in Environmental Engineering from our Department can be employed in:
- the administration and staffing of public, private or International organizations, related to design and implement protection programs, development and overall management of the natural and human environment and the production of public and private technical and industrial projects on the environment.
- the development and / or study of audit management and environmental protection and environmental impact studies for engineering or other projects, in accordance with current legislation,
- training and consulting on environmental issues in primary and secondary education in public or private sector.
The profession of Environmental Engineering is related the following key areas:
- Environmental Impact Assessment and environmental management Studies (public works, emissions, waste, buildings, industrial plants)
- Management and protection studies of environmentally sensitive or of particular ecological interest and aesthetic beauty areas
- Design, Construction and Installation Design:
- Processing wastewater
- Processing & Management municipal waste and agricultural or livestock waste.
- treatment and Management of toxic and hazardous waste
- waste processing of agricultural industries and food industries
- Design, Construction and Management:
- Surface and Groundwater
- Atmospheric pollutant emissions
- Hydraulic works
- Air pollution control systems, water and soil
- Remediation of contaminated areas and restore groundwater
- Controlling noise and radiation
- Renewable energy systems
- Studies of environmentally friendly thermodynamic cycles and installations of alternative and renewable fuels
- Studies of energy flows in the urban heat island
- Safety Engineers to companies of A, B or C grade
- Environmental policy Consultants (local and regional government, public sector, public sector organizations, armed forces, church, environmental etc.)
- Environmental inspection of Industrial products
- Supervision of the implementation of environmental legislation and standards of environmental compatibility in projects and facilities
The Environmental Engineer can work either as an employee or as an independent professional consultant to public entities (e.g., Ministries, Municipalities, Universities, Research Centers, etc.) and private (e.g. Industrial facilities, construction companies, companies providing consulting services, etc.) sector as well as international organizations.
In addition, the Environmental Engineer may also be employed in teaching environmental education courses in primary of secondary education (ΦΕΚ 204, τ.Β ́/2.3.2001 και ΦΕΚ 328, τ.Β ́/28.2.2008).
The Environmental Engineers can become members of the Technical Chamber of Greece (TCG-TEE) either in the area of expertise of Civil Engineering or Chemical Engineering and have the comprehensive medical insurance and pension plan as all Engineers (ΤΣΜΕΔΕ). According to the legislation, the Environmental Engineer can either register as a student at Research Group (27): Environmental Studies and (13): Hydraulic Works, or may be registered as a contractor in the Register of Experience Contractors in the following categories:
- Industrial -Energy Projects (only if enrolled in basic specialty of Chemical Engineering)
- Hydraulic Projects (only if enrolled in basic specialty of Civil Engineering)
- Cleaning and Water Treatment, Wastewater, Solid and Gaseous Waste Contractors
- Landscaping Contractors